Friday, September 30, 2011

Walking

I go walking every morning I am able to peel myself out of bed, which is fairly frequently.  This morning I decided to walk to the cemetery.  If you were Dominican you'd say, 'Wow, that's far!'  I usually try and avoid as many people as possible, cause it is mandatory to greet everyone, but in order to get to the cemetery you go right through the middle of town.  So, I keep my head phones on and just nod or wave and keep walking.

Half way down the hill I run into a Doña wearing a sleeveless moo-moo and a stocking cap.  We start chatting and she tells me she walks every morning.  So, me and this 50 year old woman walk down the mountain together.  Of course I leave her in my dust as we are walking back up, she tells me fat people have to go slower.  I see a literacy student and remind her of our meeting tonight, I tell her to bring all her friend too.  Dozens of men are walking the opposite way with their machetes to start the days work.  I walk with two girls going to school, we exchange names, but I can't pronounce either one, no surprise there.  Then I pass a dog wearing a polo shirt.  Wait, what?  Yes, that's right, there is a dog, just chilling wearing a red and white collared shirt.  It isn't a little dog either, it looks a lot like Lassie.  I look around really confused and nobody else seems to think this is weird, so I just walk on.  I am almost home.  My face is beat red and I am sweaty; a Haitian yells out to me, ¿Tienes calor?, are you hot?  People here feel the need to point out the obvious.

I made it home.  Heated a little water for my bucket bath in the latrine.  Brewed coffee in my fancy new coffee pot and had peanut butter and banana toast.

It has been another great morning full of interesting events.

Side note:  Dominicans think the more you sweat, the more weight you lose.  I met one of my walking partners this morning.  She was bundled up in a winter coat.  I mentioned that it really isn't that cold.  She goes on to show me her faja (a tight elasticy band worn around your belly), which she is wearing over a plastic bag, plus her winter coat, all to sweat more.  How uncomfortable and unnecessary!

No comments:

Post a Comment