Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Two pictures and a dilemma

Literacy

This picture was taken in the school during a graduation ceremony for literacy students.  The program lasted 3 of the 6 required months because the wrong workbooks were received.  Most of the students write their name and two of them can read simple sentences.  There is definitely room for improvement, and I am happy to report that most of these women will be taking the course again starting in January.  

The man gesturing towards me is my project partner, Robert.  I call him Ayendi.  This was one of the first days in my community and he is introducing me to everyone and telling them all they need to take care of me. 

Next summer, I hope there will be a graduation ceremony for my literacy program.  I want all of the students to be able to read multiple word sentences and know basic mathematics.   

pancakes
This is a picture of me, eating pancakes, in the dark, at my new table, in my house.  My dilemma has nothing to do with pancakes.  Look behind the syrup and chocolate milk carton at my wall.  You see a crude slab of cement and some of the wood poking out.  You can kind of see where the slab ends and the wood begins.  I have been debating whether I should cement my whole house.  

Here are some reasons to go ahead with the project:
  • Lack of privacy because there are many holes in the wood.
  • No protection from the elements, because water and wind enter these holes.
  • Aesthetics: The walls are just plain ugly.
  • I will leave a cozy, private, and good looking house for someone to live in when I leave.
Reasons I should leave the walls as they are:
  • Cost: 5,000 pesos 
  • Time: I will only be here for 20 more months (I have been here 7 months already!)
  • Inconvenience of living somewhere else while the work is completed, even though many people have offered to have me stay with them
  • Where do I draw the line?  After the cement I would have an uncontrollable urge to paint.
There are alternatives.  My parents suggested I put cardboard up over the wood.  It would act as an insulator and cover the holes for privacy and protection from the elements.  I am not sure what this does for aesthetics, but this is Peace Corps.   

The other option, suggested by my Dominican neighbors, is curtains, because no good Dominican home is complete with out them.  Curtains on the doorways, curtains on the windows, curtains on the walls, curtains covering the tables, one can never have enough curtains.  The problem with this is, I am just not a curtain person; they are expensive and ugly.  (I can't wait to show you the curtain my neighbor put up in the doorway to my room.  It is teal with flowers and glitter.)

I may end up with cardboard covered by curtains.  I am welcoming any suggestions you may have.  






1 comment:

  1. Do it! I will help you pay for it. I will be there next week. How do I contact you?

    ReplyDelete