Friday, September 16, 2011

Couple things

I was so excited about my tacos, I forgot to mention that I started teaching English.  I had class on Tuesday and Thursday.  After endless requests to teach, I gave in and decided I'd do one class for the teachers.  That worked until the students found out.  So, now I have two classes.  In total, 49 people showed up the first week!  It was even raining on Thursday, and people normally don't attend any activities when it is raining.

My first class went great.  They knew more that I expected.  My project partner is in this class.  It is funny to see him as a student because he is a teacher and also the director/principal of the high school.  He wants to get his PhD in the US, so studying English is pretty important to him.

The second class didn't go as well.  The 'English Teacher' at the school attended my class.  He was overpowering, too serious, and generally annoying.  He yelled at the kids for not answering my questions, told them he had already taught them this material, and stopped me every couple of minutes to discuss his various problems.  I was dying for 6 o'clock to roll around so I could be free of him.  I am planning on asking him to not attend my class.  Did I mention he does not have a teaching degree and does not speak a word of English?  Ugh!

I have somewhat of an afternoon routine now.  I eat lunch with Sonia and fam.  Head home to digest and read a bit, then I sit with Albania while she reads.  Then I head to the school.  Olga, one of my future literacy teachers, comes to sell juice, empanadas, and popcorn to the high school kids. We chat and snack and I visit Allendi (my project partner) in his classroom.

The inversor in the school has yet to be fixed.  There is a problem with the wiring.  I am assuming the rats ate the wires.  Yes, it has been in disrepair since last year.  No, the repair man has not shown up after various set appointments.  No, the kids don't have money to buy gas for the generator.

So, last night when I was hanging out the electricity went out.  Since there was no money for gas, the students left after one hour of class.  Just one more obstacle to learning children here face.

I get so frustrated with the education system here.  Untrained teachers, lack of space (we need a high school), and a serious lack of resources.

I have one more downer for you all.  We have a clinic here in Monte Bonito.  It is well kept and has an inversor so there is always electricity.  There is only one doctor.  He only sees patients in the mornings, when he feels like it.  There is no confidentiality between the doctor and his patients.  Many people refuse to see him because he will gossip with the rest of the townsfolk about your illness (Wouldn't you love the whole town to know you have Herpes?) or your desire to take birth control (15 year old girls get pregnant instead, and women have children they can't afford to feed).  Yesterday, yet another ridiculous thing happened.  The clinic ran out of examination gloves.  I am not even kidding.  I am going to go up to the clinic next week to survey what they have and to meet the doctor.  Hopefully I can try and fix at least the glove problem.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment