Monday, September 12, 2011

Witches

The other night on the news there was a story about two witches.  The one woman was teaching the other how to 'fly'.  Their adventure ended when one fell off the roof and broke her leg.  We all laughed at the witches, and it was a topic of conversation the next day.  People would ask, "Did you hear about those witches?"

Somehow, a story was started that I am a witch.  One of the Haitian workers at Sonia's house seriously believes that I am a witch.  When I visit, they ask if I went flying last night?  I say yes, and talk about my latest potions.

In reality, witches, potions, and curses play a part in Dominican culture, whether they admit it or not.  Everyone has their superstitions, and unexplained illness must have been caused by a curse.  When you see a baby you have to bless it otherwise you may cause it to fall ill.  Most of them can be seen wearing red bracelets for protection.

The lack of education here leads to all sorts of crazy ideas.


1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite Dominican superstitions is that if you open the freezer on a hot day, your face will be frozen into a permanent scowl.

    ReplyDelete