Thursday, September 29, 2011

La Bestia

Last week, Maciel (my awesome neighbor) and her husband Toni were going to Las Sabilas, a far off mountain where there are lots of farms.  Maciel was going along to cook for Toni and the 6 workers planting beans, and they invited me along for the adventure.

At 6 am I mounted their horse, la bestia, and we were off.  The ride a bit treacherous.  We went up and down mountains, navigated skinny little paths, and crossed more than one river.

Upon arriving, we unpacked the cooking pots, the rice and beans, the spaghetti supplies for breakfast (yes, spaghetti is a breakfast food here).  Toni went to fill jugs with water and find squash to boil with the bananas and yucca.  Since I'm not really a Dominican cook, I just chatted with Maciel while she prepared the food over a fire outside a little shack.

The views were incredible, and it was so peaceful out there away from the blasting music, playing children, and their boisterous mothers.  There were rain clouds looming in the distance as we packed the supplies back on the horse and two mules.  Half way through our ride the skies opened up.  The already saturated ground became a muddy mess and the animals slid around like they were wearing roller skates.  Not going to lie, I was scared.  I was clutching the horses mane as I tried to stay on top of this beast.  Toni would yell when we got to rough spots, "Hold on Nikki!"

I rode down main street when we got back to town.  Everyone laughed and greeted me and pointed out how soaking wet I was.  I dismounted my horse and my first thought was, ouch!  I wobbled home and peeled off my sopping wet clothes.  After a hot shower and a steaming cup of coffee I laid down to rest my aching back.

I was such a trooper on the trip, they invited me to go next time!   I will have to bring my camera (if it ever arrives) so you guys can check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment