Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Sonia and family

It can be difficult to explain who people are here and I know them.  I just end up say that everyone is my neighbor.  Sonia is my landlady and sudo Mom.  Her husband owns half of the land in my community and have about 50 cows.  They have 10 people working for them daily.  Her husband went blind and had a stroke, so he is pretty immobile and barely speaks, so Sonia takes care of their home and the business.

She is a pretty awesome cook.  Her fried chicken is delicious.  She makes breakfast and lunch daily for the  workers and her family. She has two sons, Daniel is 20, George Luis is 24, and her daughter, Rosa is almost 15.  I eat at their house at least once a day. Sergio, her husband grumbles to for them to send me home with limes, bananas, and avocados from their farm.

If I am not at my house I am probably chillin at Sonia's house.  They have an inversor = 24/7 electricity,  comfy chairs, and occasional milkshakes.  If I don't pop in to say hi before noon, she will send someone over.  The other day, her nephew was sent to ask what was wrong with me, was I sick, because I hadn't been to visit that morning.  She sent her daughter another day,  to inform me she made soup and I needed to go eat mine.

The last time I went to the pueblo, I went with her and her youngest son.  That's when I attended the surprise funeral.  When she talks it sounds very bossy, but in a motherly way.  "Take this. Sit down. Come, we are leaving. Get in the truck."   It makes me smile.

I was informed the other night while we were watching our soap opera, 'Los Herederos del Monte', that when my parents come visit, they are going to butcher a pig for the occasion.

I feel lucky to have found this great family.  I look forward to many more delicious meals and relaxing hours spent in their rocker.

No comments:

Post a Comment