Thursday, August 18, 2011

Cornbread and Tutoring


While in the capital last week I bought a dutch oven or olla horno.  This special little device allows me to bake on the stove top.  Yesterday I decided to christen my olla horno with a loaf of corn bread.  I used to have a serious obsession with corn bread, so I am pretty good at making it.  There isn't a stick of butter to be found in this country, so I will have to be a creative baker.  I'm sure there will be many less than fabulous baked goods.

The first loaf was a little dry and didn't rise.  The Dominicans didn't seem to mind though; it was gone in minutes.  My neighbor Maciel loved it so much, she asked if we could bake another loaf.  The second attempt was better than the first.  It was more moist, but still did not rise properly.  Here is the recipe I used, I tweaked it a bit to better suite the available ingredients.


  • Olla Horno Corn Bread
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup azucar crema
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • *note: due to lack of measuring cups, just eyeball measurements

This is a sharing culture.  If someone comes over, you offer them coffee or juice, rice or boiled bananas.  My neighbors bring me bowls of rice and beans, tostones and fried chicken, and rice pudding.  In keeping with this theme, I need to give them whatever I make.  After I saw how quickly my corn bread disappeared, I decided that when I make something it has to be large amounts so I can share with half of Monte Bonito.  

Maciel and I are going to make brownies or a chocolate cake today.  We discussed baking in secret so we don't have to share.

I started tutoring my first literacy student, my friend and old neighbor Albania.  She is a mother of 2 who used to work at a hotel in Punta Cana.  She knows the alphabet and the basics of reading and writing.  We are using an old first grade workbook.  I am impressed by her motivation and work ethic.  We had a serious discussion about her wanting more out of life than just cooking and cleaning for her less than amazing husband.  

School starts next Monday.  The kids are all getting ready. I look forward to visiting the school and helping in anyway that I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment