Saturday, August 13, 2011

Great Homecoming

I got back to my site today after almost a week in Santo Domingo where I attended a conference to present my diagnostic and work on my 1 year project plan.

My last night in the capital I went to see the new Harry Potter movie, and had pizza and beer for dinner.  It was a great end to my trip.

I brought a ton of goods back to my community.  I now have a dutch oven which I can use to make quick breads and brownies on the stove top.  I also have a sleeping bag, some wash tubs for dishes, a collection of children's stories, a stock of lactose free milk and a loaf of wheat bread.

The book caused quite a frenzy.  After I saw their excitement I decided I want to create a library here.

The toilet was installed yesterday in my latrine, it is amazing.  My neighbors and I all gathered around to awe at it's greatness.

A truck came around today selling chickens.  I couldn't help but get one.  It is staying in my neighbor's chicken coop until I construct one.  It is still pretty young.  I'll let you know when I have my first egg.

Needless to say it has been an exciting and exhausting day.  I am ready to relax tomorrow and bake some brownies to share with everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment