Monday, August 8, 2011

Maciel

I have this awesome neighbor, Marciel.  She gifts me coffee, food, her kitchen utensils, borrows me her wash machine.  She is all around amazing.  Her two daughters are great as well.  We all play dominoes and chat on their porch.  Today we were talking about her back; she has some sort of back issue and needs surgery which she cannot afford.  I asked her how old she is and was shocked to find out she is 23, the same age as me!  Her motherly nature makes her seem older, and in some ways she seems wiser.  I then thought about our two lives, and how completely different they are.  She has been married 11 years, has 2 children, built her own home with her husband, and is attending night school to get her high school diploma in hopes of going to the university to become a teacher.  I am single, without children, and have my bachelors degree.  I think we bond over our love for cake.

This reminds me of the documentary Babies.  I have only seen the trailer but I would love to watch it.  It follows babies in their first year in various parts of the world.  Have any of you watched it?

I leave for to the capital tomorrow for our 3 Month In Service Training.  My project partner is going with me, and I can't wait to see him interact with the other volunteers and project partners.  It may be awkward at times as well, because I haven't spend such a prolonged period of time with him.

I want to post about my house, but it will be much more exciting with pictures.  I need to work on getting a camera, and then I can give you a glimpse of my fabulous life here.

No comments:

Post a Comment