Saturday, October 29, 2011

Chilly weather and failed meetings

The mornings here have always been crisp, but as summer winds down and we move into fall the mornings and nights are down right chilly.  Along with cooler weather I was hoping for less rain...hasn't happened yet.

There have been two literacy meetings now, yesterday and the Friday before.  The first meeting was a complete failure.  One person showed up.  After the disappointment I decided I needed to rally.  So, last week I went around to every neighborhood advising people about the meeting.

That Friday after, the rain clouds clung to the mountains.  At three o'clock I watch a curtain of rain come towards my house.  I sighed deeply knowing attendance at the meeting in two hours would be slim.  When five rolled around, I walked the short distance to the school only to find it empty.  I had expected late arrivals, but as a half an hour rolled past I was still alone, disappointment once again.

By six, there were five students, and my two facilitators.

I am planning on trying again.  This next time I am going to try an attendance raffle and refreshments.

No comments:

Post a Comment