Thursday, June 30, 2011

I rode a mule!

The other day I was invited to visit Los Gajos to get mangos.  I enthusiastically said yes.  Like most situations I know little at first and as time goes on the light bulb goes off and I realize what is going on.  We were going to hike 3 km down a mountian to get fruit from a farm, then we´d hike back up.  Once I reached the bottom of this mountian.  I seriously questioned my ability to hike the 3 km back to Monte Bonito. 

Luckly, we visited this awesome farmer and his family.  Their spread of fruit trees was impressive.  Mangos, passion fruit, limes, oranges, pomagranates, star fruit and bananas.  After eating a ton of mangos, picking fruit to bring home, and drinking some coffee, we were ready to start our journey.  That´s when they said,"Nikki, you get on the mule."  I politely declined not wanted to look weak, but quickly accepted after they insisted.  The awesome farmer hoisted me ontop of this mule and off we went. 

I made passion fruit juice, my favorite, from the fruit I brought home.  I ended up giving away most of my mangos.  After you tell someone you went to Los Gajos, they ask you what you brought them.  They are all about sharing here, so I had to hand over mango after mango. 

There is another trip in the works.  Hopefully I´ll get to ride the mule back up the mountain again.  I still need to ride a burro (Mary K, they´re the same kind you have) and a horse (which happen to actually be large mules).

No comments:

Post a Comment