Tuesday, June 14, 2011

I'm moving the mountains

Yesterday I went to visit a community that solicited for a volunteer to work with Sur Futuro's literacy program.  The town is located in the Azua providence.  It was a 2.5 hour drive from the capital.  We drove up an unmaintained dirt road for 25 minutes to reach the community of Monte Bonito.  There are around 300-350 homes, a high school, a rural clinic and a ton of avocado trees.  Their main source of income is agriculture. My project partner will be a high school math teacher who served as president of their community orgaization. 

I've been in the capital for almost two weeks now.  I'm excited and anxious to move to my new place.  My parents are sending me a netbook this week, so I will soon have a computer and hopefully an internet connection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment