Saturday, July 2, 2011

Thoughts and Facts

Here is some snippets about my life.
  • Monte Bonito elevation 3,444 ft. 
  • 300-350 homes
  • Unlike other ´campos`, the houses here are clustered and their farm land surrounds the community in the mountians.  It makes for a stronger community spirit, which helps me integrate.
  • I haven´t identified  suitable housing.  I may be constructing a bathroom or a latrine.
  • I ate my first avocado of the season!
  • Everyone is surprised when I tell them we don´t eat green bananas or plantains (which they eat boiled or fried).
  • I explain frequently that no, New York is not the same as the United States, and yes I'm an American and not a Spaniard. 
  • Almost every male in my community walks around with a machete.  I think I may do the same : )
  • The normal greeting I get is, "Hi. What's your name?  Are you married? Have you ever been married?  Do you have a boyfriend?  How many kids do you have?"
  • I have identified 2 literacy facilitators in my community along with 20 enthusiastic students so far.  I need to work on funding to pay the facilitators and a space with a generator to have night class.

No comments:

Post a Comment