Saturday, June 18, 2011

Busy settling in.

I arrived at my site on Thursday. I will be living with my project partners aunt. Her house is only a year old. It was built for her by Sur Futuro. There are 2 bedrooms, a bathroom(my toilet has a seat!), a kitchen and living/dining room. She has a son that lives in Santo Domingo so it is just the two of us. She sells chicken and cheese empanadas. We just made a fresh batch today. This could be dangerous for my already expanding waisteline. Besides empanadas, she doesn't cook. Therefore I will be eating with my project partner and his family. They live a short walk away in a house they just finished constructing. They have 4 children, 2 boys and 2 girls all under 13.

On Friday I attended a seminar Sur Futuro was holding for coffee growers. Today I went on a tour of community and went to cut down some green bananas from the plot of a neighbor. This included a journey over the mountain, me stepping ankle deep in mud the first 10 minutes, and a million mosquito bites. It was a great hike though. So pretty.

Tomorrow I plan on making passion fruit juice, climbing a mountain to look for mangos,and attending a birthday party.

The weather up here on my mountain is wonderful. It is warm during the day but cools off at night. My host mom and I sit around the left over coals from cooking for warmth. I have to sleep with a blanket! They laugh when I say it's cold and tell me to wait until December. Who would've though I'd be shopping for a winter coat on my tropical island?

No comments:

Post a Comment