Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Holidays

Holidays have never been overly traditional in my family.  We don't always celebrate at a specific house, or have a special family recipes.  We can celebrate anywhere, as long as there is delicious food and drink involved.  I think this adaption has been helpful to me over the years.  After moving to Arizona, I was wearing shorts and sandals to Thanksgiving and opening Christmas presents while the lights on the cacti blinked outside.  When I was studying abroad I celebrated Thanksgiving in Spain and Christmas in Paris.

Now as a PCV in the DR, having a pool party, drinking piña coladas, and carrying leftover pie on the guagua for Thanksgiving feels right.

My mom always goes all out when it comes to food, for anything.  Since arriving here I forbade her to give me the low down on what she is inventing for whatever party, holiday, or Friday night dinner she is hosting or attending.  I miss family dinners and cooking with my mom.

For Christmas I will be here in the DR.  I keep asking around about traditional food.  It doesn't seem like there will be anything too out of the ordinary from everyday Dominican fare.  I am going to try and recreate some of my favorites from home.

My mom, grandma, and Auntie Shelly are coming to visit me at the end of this month.  They get here New Years Eve and will spend a full week here.  I can't wait to see some familiar faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment