Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The State of Our School

Every time I visit the school I get a little depressed.  Today I was there to help teach gym class.  Olga, a twenty-four-year-old university student, is substituting for a teacher who broke his leg. Our supplies consisted of one dilapidated soccer ball and a small area behind the school in between the bathrooms and the garbage pile.  I tried to think up some activities and games that did not use equipment, we ended up doing jumping jacks, burpees, wheelbarrow races, and the crab walk.  The kids and I had fun while Olga tried to be serious but couldn't help laughing.

The Ministry of Education sent supplies to our school, but that was 5 years ago. This is just one of an endless number challenges facing the students here.  There is no library, the kids share a couple text books, they sometimes share chairs, there is no crayons, no markers, the bathrooms is out of order and there is no drinking water.  I want to help, but where do I begin?

*I wrote this post awhile ago but did not published it.  I have good news to share though.  The Route 66 Rotary Club is donating sports equipment to the school in my community.  I will post some pictures when we receive our supplies.  I am also working on a grant to repair the school.


No comments:

Post a Comment