Thursday, July 21, 2011

Ups and Downs

It is said that your PC experience is like an emotional roller coaster.  So true.  I try to be optimistic and positive, but sometimes it is challenging.

Saturday did not start out very well.  As I drank my coffee my host mom made a comment to me that got under my skin.  I quickly went to my rooms as tears welled in my eyes.  I collected myself and then went over to my neighbors to get my milk out of her fridge.  I caught her looking through her husbands text messages.  She informed me and the other females in the room there was nothing suspicious there.  (The lack of trust in relationships here is really getting me down.)

After packing up, I went to wait on the main road for a truck to leave for the pueblo.  As I waited I witnessed a woman hitting her child repeatedly with her shoe.  Another woman cheered her on, "Harder, harder!"  Good thing I was wearing sunglasses, because I couldn't hold back the tears.

My afternoon was definitely better than my morning.  I was greeted by Laura's smiling face in Tabara Arriba. I went to stay the night with her and get to know her site, she is the closest volunteer to me; it took an hour and a half to travel to her site from mine.  

Her host mom made us limeade, mango milkshakes, and coffee.  We walked around her town and swam in the river.  A neighbor had a mini fiesta where we ate delicious mofongo (plantains, garlic, and fried pork rind).  Laura and I chatted about our frustrations, spoke English, and ate Snickers.  It was rejuvenating.  

My first day back I met more potential literacy students.  My house was approved by PC but not until we complete some updates.

I have started to hike a little bit too.  I need to take advantage of the cool weather and great views.  I went up to a line of mango trees and on my way down, this old man gifted me limes, chayote squash and this large tropical fruit (it's supposed to make great juice).

chayote
I think this roller-coaster will continue for awhile.  It is challenging to live in another culture away from everyone you know, especially when all eyes are watching your every move and mood.  

No comments:

Post a Comment