Friday, July 29, 2011

Water

The rain, clean drinking water, and the lack of running water are all affecting my life now more than ever.

Rain- In Arizona it rarely rains.  I am not used to so much rain.  There has been few days here on my mountain that it hasn't rained.  All this water complicates things.  Since our streets are unpaved they turn into mud.  I hop from one stone to the next hoping I don't fall into the mud.  People don't visit when it's raining, so it can be boring.  And lastly, when it rains, it's cold!  I am currently cooped up in my (new!) house.  It's been raining all day and there hasn't been any electricity.

Agua buena- I believe I told you previously about the drinking water situation.  Agua buena is basically purified drinking water that is sold in 5 gallon jugs, called botellones, like the one below, they are a staple in most Dominican homes.  Mine has the same cool pump on top thanks to my mom & dad.

 Things can get tricky on the mountain when it comes to filling these jugs.  We have gone days without agua buena. I will be purchasing two so I will always have drinking water.  I carry around my nifty thermos full of water so I don't risk drinking bad water when I'm out and about.

Hauling water- My house doesn't have a kitchen or a bathroom.  Therefore, I don't have a sink.  I have a big trash can that I fill with water at the neighbor's house and keep in my kitchen.  There isn't always running water from the tap.  It comes usually once a day and the women take advantage and fill up various containers with water for bathing, cooking, and cleaning.  Since moving into my own place I have joined them in this routine.  I fill a bucket for the latrine that I use for bathing, and then I make sure the trash can is full.  I stick some chlorine into each bucket for good measure, and I'm set until tomorrow when the water (hopefully) comes again.

I already look forward to hot showers where the water comes out of the shower head.  Mom, I will gladly wash dishes in the sink with running water; and I will enjoy the AZ sunshine and clear skies.  Until then, I need to invest in an umbrella, some rain boots and that extra botellon.

No comments:

Post a Comment