Thursday, March 31, 2011

New City


My new host family is great. It includes my host mom, Esperanza, her husband, Negro, their son, a daughter and her husband along with their 1 month old baby Carlos. A woman and her daughter come over everyday to cook and clean. And unlike most Dominican families, mine has a pet cat, Angora, I have seem her eat multiple lizzards. Next to our house is a small clothing store the family owns. They also own a bus or guagua that goes between different towns. I am the first trainee to live with them.

It is definitely more quiet here, I'm enjoying it. It is safer too so we can be out at night and walk home.

We will have class at the local high school and Spanish class at the house where our Spanish teacher is staying. During the week we visit schools, meet with current volunteers to learn about various topics, and met with youth groups. We walk home to have lunch with our families everyday and continue classes after that. We have quite a bit of free time so I'll be reading, studying  and compartiring(hanging out).

I wanted to tell you abut the interesting things I've eaten.

Hot chocolate with cloves and oatmeal, you drink it for breakfast or dinner,it's like chunky oatmeal.

Juego de avena, basically uncooked oatmeal, sugar, with water or milk blended up. I like it better than the hot chocolate. Whole grain juice.

Beans and rice, lucky me I haven't gone a day with out eating them.

Banana milkshake, made with sweet and condensed milk, so good but so bad for you.

Arepitas, pretty much a hush puppy with anis, these are my favorite.

Abechuelas dulces, sweet refried beans eaten during Semana Santa, can't decide if I am excited or scared to try this.

And how could I leave out salami.  Breakfast, lunch or dinner, you can find me staring at my fried salami thinking up ways to get rid of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment