Saturday, October 20, 2012

Unwanted Guests

I have had a number of unwelcome visitors lately.  Mice, spiders, a tarantula, and massive grasshoppers.  It first started with these two crickets that lived behind the boards of my latrine.  I frequently saw their antennas peaking out.  One day, I decided to take care of them.  There is an spray here called Baygon, it is an all-purpose killing spray, very potent stuff.  I sprayed where they were hiding.  When I was finished, there were 7 dead grasshoppers!  They are big and disgusting.  I happily watched the chickens eat them.

A few nights later, there wasn't electricity, so I was sitting in candle light.  I saw a small shadow under the stove.  I shined my flashlight and saw a mouse.  I went directly to the colmado and bought a sticky trap.  You peel off the top paper to reveal a extremely sticky surface.  I set it up with a bit of cheese.  The next day there were 2 little mice stuck to it.  Ramon disgustingly folded the trap in two and threw it out.

After the grasshopper and the mice were gone, I felt good.  Cleaner.  Until I was going out the the latrine the other night.  I had on my stylish head lamp and bam a massive tarantula is sitting feet from my house.  I screamed like a little girl.  It scurried under a boulder that is in my yard.  For the next half and hour Ramon and I try to kill it.  I was basically standing back shining the light on it's cave.  We utilized Baygon, flushed out the space with water, and poked a stick around.  I haven't seen it since, so I am going to assume, for my own comfort, that it is dead.

Just as I was getting over the tarantula sighting, I see something scurry over the stove.  I obviously yell out.  Two muchacos (young men) are visiting, and say I'm crazy because they didn't see anything.  I see another shadow and shout again.  They get out the broom and search for the mouse.  After attacking the wall with the broom, the mouse leaves.  I will definitely be setting up a sticky trap tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment