Saturday, October 13, 2012

Brrrr.....

It rains just about every afternoon.  Sometimes it just sprinkles and other days it down pours.  Before it rains it is super hot.  Then the clouds come over the mountains and hide the sun.  Then comes the water.  

I like when it rains.  I usually past the time in my house on the computer or reading or taking a little nap.  I like that I can close up all my doors and be alone.  If it isn't raining you can't really shut up your house during the day.  One, because it would be too hot, and two, the neighbors would think your weird.  

After the rain I am freezing.  I heat up water on the stove, hobble out to the latrine with my steaming bucket, and soap up real fast.  I throw on something cozy, put on my crocs and go out to visit someone (by now I am sick of reading, my computer is dead and I'm well rested).

When I get in at night I make some tea or hot chocolate and curl up in my hammock with a blanket.  The cold nights have just begun, it gets colder December-February.  I have been brainstorming about ways to make my house warmer.  Ironically it is usually warmer outside my house than inside.  I talked before about insulating the walls with cardboard, but that still leaves a large gap between the top of the walls and the zinc roof.  I might splurge and buy another comforter too.  I go back and fourth though because I only have 7 months left.  

I did plant some lemongrass and ginger this week.  Both are great for making tea.  Here they make te de hojas, or leaf tea.  They forage for leaves from cherry trees, lime trees, chamomile, cinnamon leaves or bark, and passion fruit.  They boil everything together in a large pot with water.  When it's finished the smell makes your mouth water.  It's served super sweet, of course.  

Next Friday, Patronales, a week long community festival starts.  That means super loud music and a lot of drunk men.  

Today I might wash some clothes, if the electricity comes in the next couple of hours.  Then I am headed to Olga's house to eat some habichuelas con dulce or sweet beans.  A dish I disliked at first, and now love.  

No comments:

Post a Comment