Sunday, April 10, 2011

Utilizing all these bananas


Last Sunday I had the pleasure of making banana pancakes for my host family.  I LOVE pancakes and have been craving all things baked since I've been here.  The majority of Dominicans either don't have ovens or utilize them for storage, so I needed to make something on the stove top.  It was a bit of a challenge to make my pancakes for a couple reasons.  1.  They don't have measuring cups  2. We don't have a non stick pan or a spatula  3. No syrup  In the face of adversity, I improvised with a drinking cup, lots of oil and a fairly flat spoon.  They were delicious.  My host family thought so too, and were surprised I knew how to cook.

From pancakes I moved on to banana bread after I found out they have dutch ovens.  My host sister, Evelyn and I made a huge batch of banana corn bread to bring with me to the beach today.  I cringed a little while she was over-stirring the batter and then insisted on cooking it for longer than I would have liked, but it turned out.  It was gone so fast there was no time for pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment