Wednesday, April 13, 2011

First Literacy Class

Laura, Sarah and I taught an adult literacy class tonight.  It went well and I am excited to work in literacy.  I'll give you a run through of my day and night.

This morning we paired off to interview various organizations in El Seibo.  Blair and I went to the Ministry of Women and the Ministry of Health to find out about their programs and projects.  It turned out that I knew a woman working in the Ministry of Women, she is a friend of my host sister.  She introduced us to the director and we had a nice chat about their programs.  She emphasized how they would like a PCV to work with them; everyone wants their very own PCV.  The Ministry of Health was a bit more intimidating.  We were ushered into a room full of people and after everyone used their best English phrases, "How are you?  Hello."  We were suppose to ask our interview questions under their spotlight.  After my daily beans and rice Blair and I hung out at my house while there was a thunderstorm.

Once the rain let up Laura and Sarah came over to review or lesson plan for our presentation.  The night before we had made chocolate cake to bring with us, but my host brother apparently liked our cake and helped himself to a hefty portion. We showed up ready for class, but arrived to find the teacher waiting outside for the key.  Laura went to the teacher's house for the key only to come back with the wrong one.  We continued to wait for the key and more students to arrive.

*When it rains here, people don't like to go out.  Classes and meetings are canceled, stores are closed, and the streets empty.  So we were grateful 6 of 20 students showed up to attend our class.

The key arrived, we taught our class, and ate small pieces of cake.  I am looking forward to teaching another class and baking more cakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment