Sunday, April 24, 2011

Living the Life

Semana Santa is sadly coming to an end, but I will be looking forward to next year's festivities.  Good Friday was pretty somber here, but us trainees took advantage of our day off and decided to play some Headlamp Kickball.  Some curious Dominican boys joined our game, my team won of course.  There were only two injuries, Blair fell down before first base and got all scraped up, I sadly couldn't contain my laughter, and Dora got elbowed in the nose, nothing a little Dominican rum couldn't cure.

On Saturday, after I got some delicious cherry juice from a colmado we ventured to a river here in El Seibo.  After a sunny and sweaty 40 minute walk though the campo, past horses, cows, and sugar cane fields, we arrived.  I was too chicken to swim because of the stories about river diseases, so I just watched from the shore.  On our way home, I used my awesome hitchhiking skills and got us a bola (free ride, usually in a truck bed or motorcycle).

Today, Easter, my host sister and her twin brother took some trainees and I to the beach in Miches.  The ride is about an hour and a half long though the mountains on a pothole infested road.  We all arrived in one piece though and had a great time.  A truck filled with speakers drove onto the beach to play music and there were some stands where you could buy cold beer.

I've had a great last weekend here.  I look forward to returning to Santo Domingo.  I'm going to leave you with a video from a really popular song here.  My host sister once listened to it 9 times in a row!


No comments:

Post a Comment