Saturday, May 28, 2011

Swearing In

my host mom in black and her sister and niece at swearing-in


I am an official Peace Corps Volunteer.  So exciting!  We swore in on Wednesday in a ceremony at our training center in Santo Domingo.  A representative from the Embassy was there as well as Dominican government officials and our host families. 

The following day, Thursday we had All Volunteer Conference.  The 200 some current volunteers serving in the DR attended.  It was blazing hot out and a lot of the information was review, but there were peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and fresh juice so all was not lost.  That night I stayed in a hotel in the Colonial Zone of Santo Domingo, ate at a Mediterranean restaurant and went out a bar we rented out.  The next morning I had pancakes, sausage and eggs for breakfast before heading to the pool! 

I know you’re thinking that this all doesn’t sound too Peace Corps but I would like to say I am now back in my site.  I packed up and moved the rest of my stuff to my new home on Saturday.  Everyone seemed delighted to see me and I feel content now that I’ve reached my ‘final destination’.  This week I’m going to recruit my host brothers to help me make some shelves and a clothesline in my room.  I can then unpack a little bit and be more organized.

No comments:

Post a Comment