Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Gifting

I feel like Dominican culture is really testing my patience, and kindness.

A woman once told me I needed to buy this child something so he would love me. You are not gifting to be nice here, you gift to be liked.

When my family was here visiting more than one woman came over to ask when she can come pick up her gift.  Ugh!  Really?  The little children still come to my door and say give me something.

When you go to the captial or to the pueblo, people expect you to bring them something.  I travel frequently and when I tell people I am leaving or I just got back their first question is, what did you/will you bring me?

If you neighbor brings over an avocado, it's an unspoken rule you need to bring her some oranges.

I don't have a farm, there aren't any fruit trees in my yard.  I am pinching pesos.  I am sorry people but I don't have gifts for you all!

Needless to say I am tired of the giving and receiving.  If I want something, I will buy it.  If I want to give you something I will, but because I want to, not so you will like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment