Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Being a Tourist

Last weekend, Ramon and I decided to check out this new city we live in.  All that happened was pretty spur of the moment.

We have been to the colonial zone, but never really done anything touristy.  We went inside the cathedral for the first time.  It is the oldest cathedral in the americas, completed in 1540.  I wonder how much of what is inside is original or true to the time.  I had to put on a sarong over my indecent shorts.
my new skirt

We had some coconut popsicles in Plaza España before going into the Alcázar de Colón, which I believe is a replica of the house where Diego Colon, the son of Christopher Columbus, lived.  It is filled with pieces from the 15th-17th centuries.  You get head sets to use on a walking tour.  
Ramon in the Casa de Colon
Saturday night a fellow RPCV texted me about going to Juan Dolio on Sunday.  It was Ramon's birthday and we didn't have plans, so Sunday morning we packed a backpack and headed to the beach.  The bus ride is only 45 minutes long and RD$70, which is around US$2.  We checked into our hotel and walked to the beach.  Being a special day, we immediately had a beer and busted open the cheetos.  We waded in the water, sun tanned, drank more beers, ate limoncillo, chicharones, and had pizza for dinner.  

What a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment